Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Day Two And They Still Love Me

So today was the second official day of summer vacation, and it went much better than the first. Catching up on laundry on a hot day, apparently, is not stimulating enough for my kids. Who woulda thunk? So today we hit our local pool. For the entire afternoon. Ahhh, now that's better. Happy, chlorinated kids.

You see, neither my 11-year-old son, nor my 9-year-old daughter wanted camp this summer. So it was with not a little bit of trepidation that I undertook the challenge of . . . being with my kids all summer. Now, many of you in different parts of the country may say, "So?" But 'round these parts, kids that age are very commonly shipped off on large air-conditioned coach buses to sleepaway camps with names that take me back to my 7th grade Social Studies segment on Lewis and Clark. It's pretty rare for kids around here to just hang with Mom. For those who don't leave for sleepaway, there are countless (and I really mean that) day camps, half-day camps, theater programs, sailing programs, music programs, crafts classes. You name it, it's within a half hour drive from my house. Really. As luck would have it, not one of those things appealed to my two. Not that there's anything wrong with that! But, my new-found job as summer coordinator was sort of what got me thinking that I could perhaps blog about our summer together. I can't guarantee in even the slightest way that this will make for exciting blog fodder. But at least I can look back at the end of the summer, and rather than ask wistfully, "Where did the summer go?" I can state, "Look at what we did this summer!"

Tomorrow we're running just a couple of errands, and making S'mores Cookies, and then D has a baseball game. The weather could not be better, and summer is off to a rockin' start. But, really. Let's see how Day Three goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment