Wednesday, June 29, 2011

2nd Veggie Share

Our 2nd veggie share arrived on our doorstep last night. Full of wonderful things, it kept me busy today. See, rather than cross my fingers that the fresh greens will stay that way, I took the chard and blanched it, so now it can wait in the fridge until I want to saute it with a little olive oil and garlic. Perfect for our family's weekly dinner schedule. I also took the garlic scapes (yay!) and made more pesto, this time adding some of the fresh mint to it. So that's in the fridge, waiting. And I also brewed some minty tea. So, you see, my greens with wilting potential just didn't have the chance, and now they'll wait until I'm ready to prepare them this week. Here are some pictures.

These are the fava beans, before I shucked them (is that what one does with fava beans?).


Still not ready to eat, I blanched these for 30 seconds . . .


. . . and then had to peel off the waxy layer to reveal these succulent little beans. Ready to top a salad, or get tossed with fresh pasta.




Some more pesto - this time with some mint leaves thrown in.



And this is my mint tea brewing, cooling. No, those aren't won-tons in there. Those are the tea bags.


And this is my chard, before blanching -


- and during. Look at how red the water is! Gosh I hope I'm not boiling out all the good nutrients.


But wait - there's more.

Some napa cabbage, some curly garlic scapes tucked in there, red kohlrabi, and white turnips. Aren't they cute?


I'll post more on what I actually MAKE with all these prepped goodies. Can't wait.

1 comment:

  1. Tell me what you do with the kohlrabi. I am mystified. About to serve fava bean risotto with mint-scape pesto

    ReplyDelete