Thursday, August 19, 2010

97 Years of Cookies

If I could add up all the batches of cookies that my grandmother made for me (and my cousins) it'd be way more than I've made yet in my days. But give me time; I just may out-bake her.


Warming to my baby daughter here, just 9 years ago, she's bright and light-hearted. And that's the way I hope my children remember her. It's how I will. For many grandchildren, it can be hard to relate to grandparents - their lives, histories, and tribulations can seem almost prehistoric. And our relationship was no different than most, I guess. But, now at 40+ years, I get how delighted she'd be when she cooked for others. That simple feeling of usefulness, being needed - even if it's just a meal - can be enough most days. And right up to her early eighties, she was enjoying being needed, whether it was a family visit or coffee and cookies with her neighborhood friends, "the ladies." But with age come daily challenges that had never before existed, and hers led her to a wonderful nursing home that cared for her in her final decade.

A body can only live for so long, but a soul survives the prolonged weight of time. Her nine great-grandchildren are living proof of that.

Peace.
LMS 1913 - 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment