Friday, July 23, 2010

I Heart John Mayer

We did it. We were a cliche, my husband and I. We went to a John Mayer concert at Jones Beach. Not that there weren't many other 40-something couples there. It just felt a bit strange - since the last concert we went to was Al Jarreau, back in 2001. I remember we left early because our then brand-new daughter was screaming when we called to check in with the babysitter. So we sped home on I-495 as fast as we could. Now we know better, of course. Ahh, the fleeting youth of, oh, 9 years ago. Now, you see, she's stopped screaming, so we can flit around without care.

The band Train opened up for JM, and they were, of course, excellent. You don't get all those #1 songs without some performance skills. What I loved the most, besides good ol' JM, was the backdrop behind the stage. The water, the breeze off the ocean, the swooping gulls. It was breathtaking. The pictures are not so hot (I only had my phone), but you get the drift. JM went on after the sun had set. The sounds and the swooning guitar, just lifted me up on the stage with him. Great fun, really.



No comments:

Post a Comment