Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Sunny Fruits and Whimsical Vegetables

A bright spot in our week, last night, was getting our shares.  Such a surprise with each delivery, it's a true delight to lift back the flaps on those boxes and discover our farm share fate.  Boy, do I have some pictures to share this week. 

Take a look at these apricots, Rainier cherries, and sour cherries.



A veritable bounty, and it's too darn hot to bake a pie.  My solution:  the freezer.  Here, I pitted the sour cherries, and laid them on a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet.



After I spread them evenly, I slid the tray in the freezer.  Once frozen, I zipped up the cherry halves in a freezer bag, and there they will stay until my pate brise can come out of the fridge without practically liquifying in the summer heat. 

Now, onto the veggies.  Here's some squash, and some purslane.  A new one for me.  I'm going to steam some, and serve it with some brown rice.  Might just plop it on my lunchtime sandwich, too. 


Look at this pretty eggplant.  


And these peppers are delicious.  So much better than Stop & Shop produce.  Green beans, fresh off the vine.  "Snap!"


Melanie held up this fennel to me and said, "High five, Mom."  Such a joker.


I'm thinking of sauteing the fennel, eggplant and squash together (like my friend Ann did) to get a makeshift ratatouille.  Mmmm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment