Thursday, September 29, 2011

Banana-Graham Muffins


I'm always surprised when I find a great recipe on the back of a box.  But why?  It makes perfect sense that a big, profitable company (Nabisco) would spend a couple of dollars on recipe development.  Well, a good muffin is a surprise I'm always happy to taste.  So, I'm sharing.  Look at these beauties!




This is a low fat, dense muffin.  Most muffins I make without oil or butter offer me but a breath of taste, and I find myself longing for another . . . and another.  These have a heft because of the crushed graham crackers, but the banana is the perfect match, adding more than enough moisture.  Just look at the inside. 


 Mmmm.  Enjoy!


Banana-Graham Muffins
(from Nabisco)

Makes 12 standard muffins

2 2/3 cups graham cracker crumbs (in a food processor, I pulsed about 2/12 sleeves of crackers)
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1 cup fat-free milk
2 tbsp honey
2 ripe bananas, mashed
walnuts for the top (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 

Combine graham crackers crumbs, sugar and baking soda in a bowl, and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine egg, milk, honey and mashed bananas.  Add the dry mixture to the wet, and stir until moistened. 
Using an ice-cream scoop, fill paper-lined muffins cups with batter (these don't rise too much, so you can fill 'em up).  Top with nuts, if desired.
Bake for 18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool in pan for 5 minutes.  Remove from pan to cool completely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment